Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Strawberry Pie

Strawberry Scones

Strawberry season is just finishing up here in southern Ontario, but my family managed to get a strong jump on it this year by both freezing bags of fresh strawberries and making jam. Additionally, my sister and I used them for baking, like for some delicious strawberry scones, or this strawberry pie that I'm going to talk about now.

Strawberry Filling

I'm not a terrific pie maker, although I've been making them on and off for four years. It's really important to find a recipe for pie crust that won't fall apart when you attempt to transfer it to the pie plate. The crust recipe in the joy of baking's strawberry-rhubarb pie recipe did the trick, because it was durable while also being flaky and moist once baked. I followed the recipe for the filling as well, but I doubled the amount of strawberries I used because I didn't have any rhubarb.

Strawberry Pie before it hit the oven

All said and done, the main issue I had with the pie after it was baked was that there was a lot of liquid in the filling that never thickened up. This was odd to me considering the large amount of sugar and the several tablespoons of cornstarch that were used. We came to the conclusion that the berries we got this year must have had some extra water in them. Other than that, the pie was very tasty with sweet strawberries and buttery, flaky crust. I would make it again!

Baked Strawberry Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment