Thursday, May 3, 2012

Chocolate Mousse



I've seen several chocolate mousse recipes before, some which utilize gelatin and other which simply fold in whipped cream. In fact, a mousse recipe by Nigella Lawson I used once even required marshmallows to be melted down. The chocolate mousse recipe that I tried last week was the best I have ever made and used a much more traditional method to gain a silky texture, beaten egg whites.

The first step of the recipe is simply to melt your chocolate down with some butter, adding egg yolks to it and setting it in the fridge. The next step is to whip your egg whites. Then you whip your whipping cream before folding both the cream and egg whites into the chocolate mixture. At the stage of melting the chocolate I added some strong coffee for extra flavour.

I chose to pipe the mousse into dessert bowls to give it a more elegant finish. Then I chilled it for several hours. The mousse was really silky and smooth, although I would use less coffee than I did because it overpowered the chocolate slightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment