Monday, May 7, 2012

French Onion Soup



French onion soup, especially with the rainy cool weather that we're having right now, is something that I love to eat. I've actually made Julia Child's recipe for it twice recently as it's so delicious.

The recipe includes the same sorts of ingredients as other onion soup recipes, but one that is quite unique to the recipes I have tried in the past is the addition of wine. I find that anything acidic like that brightens up the flavour a bit and makes it more complex.

The first time I served this soup, I simply dished it out into individual bowls, placing a slice of ciabatta bread in the center and sprinkling parmesan cheese over top. The second time, the soup was ladled into individual onion soup dishes, some toasted ciabatta on top with grated gruyere cheese, and set in the oven until the cheese melted. I really enjoyed this recipe and would try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment