Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mexican Omelette


Today for breakfast I chose to make a mexican-style omelette. The idea really struck when I looked into the fridge and saw a lonely cob of corn that we boiled a few nights ago, leftover sweet red pepper, leftover diced onion, and leftover chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Along with the eggs, it was a pretty obvious idea to make an omelette with all those ingredients.

For my sister and I, one chipotle pepper adds good spice to this dish, but if you're hesitant about spice you can use a quarter of one or a half depending on the amount of spice you like. I wouldn't cut the pepper out alltogether though, because along with the spice, it also imparts a nice smoky barbecue flavour to the omelette.

For the cheese, I used a taco cheese that I bought from the store, but shredded cheddar or mozzarella, or anything else that you prefer should work well too.

For the garnish, I used chives because that's what I had, but for more authenticity some cilantro would be nice as well.

I should add that I didn't really measure anything for this recipe, so the amounts listed below are approximate, but I think they should be pretty close to what I did.

Here is my recipe:

Mexican Omelette

Serves two people

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced sweet red pepper
1 cob of corn, boiled, kernels cut off
1/4 to 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used taco cheese)
4 eggs
chives or cilantro for garnish

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil in frying pan
2. Add onion, red pepper, corn, and chipotle; cook until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender-crisp; set aside on a plate
3.  In a bowl, mix up eggs
4. Add eggs to frying pan and cook until halfway done
5. Add vegetables to half of the omelette and top with cheese
6. Once cooked enough that the egg is pliable, place empty half of omelette over the vegetable side
7. Remove from pan onto a plate and place in microwave for approximately 30 to 60 seconds until all the egg is cooked
8. Cut in half and place halves on their own plate; garnish with chopped chives or cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment